Timothy M. Thornton, Jr. is a Partner in the Encino office of Gray•Duffy, LLP. With more than 25 years’ experience, Mr. Thornton provides legal counsel on insurance-related matters, such as mass torts, toxic torts and exposures, and environmental contamination. He also handles matters in insurance coverage of intellectual property, entertainment claims and sexual abuse as it relates to religious entities.
He has been named on the list of Southern California Super Lawyers in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018; list of Best Lawyers in America© since 2012; as well as “AV” rated by his peers by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Thornton is admitted to practice in all State Courts of California, as well as the United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts. He serves as a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, American Bar Association, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, and Defense Research Institute.
Born and raised in Winchester, Massachusetts, Mr. Thornton moved to California and obtained his Juris Doctorate degree in 1982 from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, as well as his Bachelor’s Degree from Stanford University in 1976.
- California State Bar
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- U.S. District Court, Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
Recognition and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America© 2012-2018
- Southern California Super Lawyers 2012-Present
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Legal Writings, Articles and Publications
- Article: “A Tale of Two Refusal To Consent”
Published by: ABA TIPS Excess, Surplus Lines And Reinsurance Newsletter
- Article: “Legalized Marijuana and Insurance Law”
Published by: American Bar Association TIPS ICLC
- Article: “Allocation of Indemnity in Advertising Injury Intellectual Property Cases”
Published by: The Brief, Volume 42, Number 4
- Article: “Additional Insurance Procurement Issues”
Published by: ABA TIPS Staff Counsel Newsletter
- Article: “The Duty to Give Notice to Excess Insurers”
Published by: The Brief, Volume 41, Number 2
- Article: “Patent Litigation and Advertising Injury Coverage”
Published by: Risk & Insurance
- Article: “Indemnity Ambiguity”
Published by: Law360 Insurance and Securities
- Article: “Is Liability Coverage for Negligent Hiring and Supervision No More?”
Published by: Daily Journal